login   |    register
Historical Miniatures: Pax Romana
All subjects regarding Roman civilization or those they fought.
Hosted by Engin Kayral
WIP - Roman Tribune 200mm Bust
cptan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Puchong, Malaysia
Joined: September 04, 2005
KitMaker: 92 posts
Historicus Forma: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC
All through the years, the largest figures I've painted are in 120mm scale. This is my first attempt painting a much larger 200mm scale bust. For what I understand, the larger the scale, the more challenging to paint (espacially the human face).


HISTORY REFERENCE:
------------------
I've collected and simplify the below info from the internet to show the military position or ranking of a Roman TRIBUNE.

Roman soldiers were call "LEGIONARIES". 8 legionaries organized a "CONTUBERNIUM". 10 contubernia formed a "CENTURY" (80 men).

Next were the "COHORTS". These were made up of 6 centuries (480 men). Finally, the largest group in the Roman Army was the "LEGION". There were 10 cohorts in a legion. A full-strength legion contained 6,000 men.

The Roman legion was commanded by a LEGATE and the TRIBUNEs served as second in command of the legion, behind the Legate.


THE KIT:
--------
This is the 200mm scale bust from Verlinden title: "Roman Centurion Bust" (kit #1276).


Simple break down of parts as the head with helmet, feather, body(chest), 2 pieces of cheek guards, a standard base plinth.... and of cause all with mould plugs (I hate these thing).


Since kit is sculpted with Roman attic helmet (Hollywood beloved) with feather topping and muscle breastplate body armor. I presume (base on my understanding) this bust supposed to be a Roman TRIBUNE rather than a CENTURION.


CONVERSIONS:
------------
Personally I think the face is too thin for a Roman Tribune. I've added some putties on the jaw to puff up his face.


I dislike the kit's original cheek guard (PIC C.) which in my opinion that they're too small and the carved on design looks like carrot. I've made the replacement with aluminium sheet (PIC D.) and add thin rolls of putties for the border. High rank Roman officers were well-known with flourish design on their military gears (espacially helmet and breastplate)... I've sculpted some simple flower design on the new cheek guards (PIC E).


Next, the detail of the feather of the kit is quite good (PIC F). Taken the suggestion from fellow modeller "Beachbum", I've tried using hair from brushes to replace the whole piece as horse hair. But later I've found out handling these "real hair" is way too much for my inexperience skill. So I've decided to fall back using the kit piece. Enhancement were made to jack up the feather's base with plastic cards, further added detail with twisted wires (PIC G.) and putty rivets (PIC H).


There were 2 nicely sculpted scorpions and some rounded design on the helmet front (PIC I). At first I've sand off the rounded design thing and sculpted a lion head on it (PIC J). Later, I've found those tiny beads (looks like ruby) in the woman accessories department (while shopping with my wife)... and decided to remove the lion head to replace with a piece of "ruby" (PIC K).


Moving down to the chest. I've sculpted another lion head (bigger and more detail, with eyes detail and tounge) on the center of the chest plate, and modified the leather belt to make it look like it's laying across on top of the lion head piece. Also added a Roman victory laurel wreaths as decoration on the shoulder plate. Removed the original detail of the tassels under the shoulder leather straps (insert small pic), and replacing them with twisted copper wire.



COMPLETED:
----------
Here's my upgraded ROMAN TRIBUNE BUST, ready for painting.







Comment and feedback please



Happy modelling,
CPTan
boskob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Joined: August 10, 2005
KitMaker: 81 posts
Historicus Forma: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 09:41 PM UTC
HI CPTan,
Great job so-far, all modifications look like thay were really worth the effort. I will be following this one with great interest.
marcel99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gerona, Spain / Espaņa
Joined: April 15, 2008
KitMaker: 1,180 posts
Historicus Forma: 651 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:03 AM UTC
Great modifications on this bust, looking forward to see some progress!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Joined: June 29, 2004
KitMaker: 6,164 posts
Historicus Forma: 1,996 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:04 AM UTC
The improvements you've made looks awesome CPTan. In my opinion the Lion head on the helmet looks better than the ruby. More warrior like. The ruby looks good, but the lion looks better.
Vic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
Joined: December 14, 2004
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Historicus Forma: 1,303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 02:03 AM UTC

Hi CP

This was the very first figure I ever painted. I did mine straight out the box it will be interesting seeing yours progress.

All the best

Vic
1969
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
Joined: December 16, 2005
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Historicus Forma: 2,422 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC
Its always nice to see yor individual touches to a figure CP and it always enhances the original figure,nice work and looking forward to seeing more.

Steve
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
Joined: March 13, 2007
KitMaker: 180 posts
Historicus Forma: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 03:17 AM UTC
CPTan,

Great work so far! I will be following this with interest!

Phil.
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Joined: July 28, 2004
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Historicus Forma: 4,745 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi CPTan,

Terrific work at superdetailing this bust. Can't wait to see you put the brushes to it

Rudi