Maiwand (The 1st stand of the 66th)
This one has been a rather tough one. I started to plan it more that a year ago and now, finally! I’ve managed to finish it.
Most of the figures are from the Perry Sudan range, with the according conversion work done to represent as accurate as posible the uniform worn by the 66th Berkshire during that desastrous event. Helmets had to be covered, water bottles cut off and correct ones modelled, trousers were carved and puttees had to be modelled in mosto f the figures. Some straps and cartige boxes were also modelled into some figures. I have also removed some metal heads and put Perry plastic ones with the according conversion work. One figure is from Empress Zulu range with a Warlord Roman head (the one with the bandage). I did all this work in abut a 60% and the rest was done by a modeller friend of mine. He enven modelled the dog (Bobby) from scratch as I didn’t seem to find “the one” the comercial market.
I was uncertain if the final dio would be attractive to the eye or not. I had to put 11 figures + a dog (the historical 11) in a 6cm x 6cm base, paint them in “boring kakhi “, and base them in a “boring desert” ground. I spent a lot of time in order to find a cool colour mix for the khaki until I finally decided for one. The ground work was rahter simple, but I had to do a lot of tests , until I finally went for “simpleis better. And it worked!!
Flag is scratch built (except the tassle and the pike) and hand painted accordingly. The flag is a very helpful spot to give some “colour” distraction to the eye. The same goes for the fallen helmet’s bright green linen (correct historical colour).
Well. Enough talking. Here is a bunch of pics so you can see all the brush strokes and the way the work.
Hope you enjoy it.
Visit Angel's blog to see more of his work: http://oniriaspaintings.blogspot.com/