about the figure
AM-01 Byzantine Foot Archer
is a 65 mm. white metal figure sculpted in very good details. It represents a Byzantine foot soldier of the Paleolog armies in late 13th century. The historical reference in English supplied in the kit provides good information about the Palaiolog period, Byzantine army structure and archers clothing and wargear. Please click here
to read this document.
The document also shows 3 photos of the painted figure taken by Nikos Apostolopoulos
from different angles and serves as a painting reference.
The figure comes in a 100 X 155 X 35 mm. white cardboard box.The box is inserted in a good quality paper cover. The front side of the cover shows the figure painted by Kostas Kariotellis
as the other side shows the painted figure from the back angle and includes the names of sculptor, painter, photographer and Athens Miniatures company address.
The parts are well secured, sandwiched between 2 slabs of thick yellow polyfoam.
The figure is sculpted by Kostas Kariotellis
and made up of fifteen white metal parts. It is molded and cast by F.M.Beneito
. The casting is very clean and details are very crisp. There is need for a minor clean up of seamlines, no filling or sanding is required.
The main part is the torso with legs. He wears a lamellar or scale cuirass reinforced with studs. The leather straps at the back make it easier to wear. Over the cuirass; he also wears the classic Byzantine hood (coif) made of thick cloth or leather that provided extra neck protection, fact that might reflect the importance or archery in that periods warfare. Under the cuirass, he wears a leather or thick cloth hauberk with short sleeves to provide extra protection. The form of the hauberk is influenced by the Turkish style of the period. Under this heavy protection; there is a long cloth tunic with embroideries on sleeves and skirt. Lower leg protection is provided by hardened leather long boots.
The cloth folds, cuirass details, folds on coif, leather straps and bow chord pouch attached to the belt on the right side are well defined.
Other parts are;
- Head : Face shows a strong facial expression. Beard, moustache, long hair and facial details are good molded.
- Left arm
- Left hand with bow : the pin on the wrist fits the hole on the left arm well and makes the assembly easier. He carries a Turkish or Mongol style composite bow. Note that bow chord is not included in the kit.
- Right arm with hand
- Shield : He carries a round shield made out of straw with metal rim and center part. Inner padding of the shield is thick cloth or leather with leather straps secured on a metal or wooden plate.
- Sword : A Spathion , Byzantine long straight sword in scabbard is carried on left side hanging by a leather belt across right shoulder.
- 2 arrow cases : The kit includes 2 arrow cases and gives painter a chance to make it empty or loaded in arrows. Decorations on the arrow case are well defined.
- 5 arrows : Arrows with three features need some attention during assembly because they are tiny parts.
- Figure base : Ground texture and a few small rocks are well represented.
A nice subject with a strong posing in superb details, cast in high quality, useful document with historical reference and painting photo guide.
I believe this figure will be another masterpiece on your display with a careful paintwork.
Thanks to Athens Miniatures for the review sample.