login   |    register
RailRoad Modeling
For general topics on RailRoad modeling.
BR86 2-8-2T Locomotive by Trumpeter
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Les Rogers [LESROGERS] has been busy Down Under with more top model builds! Les has cracked open Trumpeter's big 1/35 Dampflokomotive BR86 and is treating us to his new project. This model was extensively reviewed HERE. All of the following text is from Les.

BR 86 LOCOMOTIVE from TRUMPETER 1/35 scale


This will be a straight out of the box build of this model. There are a number of after market products available but this escalates the price and after building the BR 52 with some additional items I am not truly convinced they improve the overall appearance of a static model. Although this model has been around for some time there has not been a lot of builds published. Libor`s is one exception.
The box art from Trumpeter is as usual quite dramatic. One day these examples will sought after just like old movie posters are today.


I was concerned that because these side mouldings were so long it would be wise to glue them when I was sure they were perfectly straight. So they were clamped to a spirit levels straight edge.


I was happy when the glue set and the frame was true.


Anxious to set the chassis on rails to see that the frame was level with the four jockey wheels all in contact
with the rails.


The great delight in building these types of models is that you are starting from a low base. Similar to building a boat on bulkheads or even ribs. You could image that this was how it happened in the rail workshop.


Will connect the bits and pieces to the bumper area at a later date. Too easy to knock off at this stage.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 03:03 AM UTC
My first thought on seeing those photos is that the frame must be pretty sturdy to accept those clamps. I wonder how much this model weighs?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 04:30 PM UTC
Our resident seagoing Ferroequinologist Les Rogers has been busy! Here is his recent progress on this interesting Dampflok! There are many more photos of his progress that we are saving for a build-feature of this model. We look forward to outshopping this iron steed!

Les’ narrative follows:



In this step I have under coated with red primer to ensure all parts will get a covering. It is a good base as it gives some parts of age and rust when fully assembled.




The parts required to get to the final part of this stage of the build according to the instructions were added and then a first coat of Tamiya X1 was applied. The one point I would like to make for future builders is to check each join for fit . By this I mean where rods go into holes and square and rectangular pieces go into recesses. I had to drill out all holes and enlarge recesses to make parts fit. The tolerances were too tight . It is a difficult job after in some places. The general fit of most parts is excellent.



I have now started on the boiler and main part of the engine. As there are so many fiddly parts that don`t take kindly to handling I built a timber stand that would help with that problem. I placed it on a turn table which also helped.



The cabin has a lot of detail and looks good but it will be mostly covered up when the sides and roof go on. Kit does not have dial detail and you have to make that yourself. Looks silly without this detail.



An initial spray of paint has been applied so that the hard to get places are not missed.




Here are some build observations. Trumpeter have relied on too many joins to be made by the 90 degree butt system. I have used some sections of Evergreen plastic to reinforce the joins and give some strength to the structure. As I have mentioned before make sure you drill all holes and widen all slots before attempting to glue as I found the tolerances too tight. It is a difficult model to handle so I am about to make another jig to do the underside.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 04:36 PM UTC
Most of the heavy lifting has been done and here are some photos after the final coat and sprayed with Future. The next will be the decals and weathering.

Trumpeter did not do any glass for the riding lights so I used some port holes from a boat model'. Looks a little more realistic. Will add some blackened stone chips for the coal.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
Joined: January 09, 2008
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Historicus Forma: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
Nifty!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:35 PM UTC
Crew,

Les' BR86 is finished. His build can be seen here: Erecting einer Einheitslok: Built BR 86

Additionally, as mentioned by Les, here's Libor's indepth thread featuring photographs of a preserved BR86: 1/35 Trumpeter BR 86 Dampflokomotive.