login   |    register
RailRoad Modeling
For general topics on RailRoad modeling.
Concord Street Rowhouse
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
Welcome to the building of The Rowhouse on Concord Street.
The Rowhouse on Concord Street is an HO multi-media laser-cut model of one of two row houses of the Concord Street series by Carolina Craftsman Kits, the first kit of 5 in this new series. It features Northeastern basswood milled wood, windows, doors, & lamps by Tichy, and roofing material.

CCK milled and lased the model cleanly. I had nothing to clean up. Following the instruction sheet I quickly had the stiffening wood CA'ed to the inside of the walls, followed by paint.

However, prior to paint, I tried something a bit different. While you could build this house as freshly painted, it is intended to be run down. So I used an Xacto to lightly cut and pop some boards off the lap siding. It is a good idea but the paint knocked a couple slivers off. I still have them and may reattach them later.

I used a stiff bristle acrylic brush to apply a mixture of model and craft acrylic paint. To make the paint look worn, the paint was both applied straight as well as diluted. Other colors were worked in, some complimentary, some to clash, but all considered for how the paint pigments would actually deteriorate.



Even though I roared over the walls with a nail wheel, the deep nail holes seem to have filled in after the paint went on. Note to self, apply nails after paint.

Next, a bath of IA to really dirty her up!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 12:59 PM UTC
OK, more weathering and work. I popped the Tichy windows and doors in. Some needed a little glue and some snapped tight.

Not only can you see how dirty the IA made the painted walls, you can also see how it took the brightness from the unpainted interior.

I joined the walls.






I made a mistake. I did not foresee that the rear extension would conflict with the corner 8 x 8s. Nor did I think of it when I put a 10 x 10 piece diagonally across the back of the side walls for stiffening. Out came the chisel and I tried carving away the beams. A lot of work; weakened the walls.


The other side I just razor saw'ed a chunk out of the wall. That way only one wall may be weakened, yet it also has enough 10 x 10 to glue to the side wall.




Next, the porch and roof.