login   |    register
Painting
Discuss all areas of historical miniature painting and painting preparation.
WIP 1st attempt at a bust
Mar-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
Joined: May 04, 2003
KitMaker: 679 posts
Historicus Forma: 92 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi all,

So after getting hooked again on modelling after a long break i decided to try and improve my figure painting and while at work I trawled this site and so many others reading how to guides and tips and tricks. I didnt even know that vallejo paints should be diluted and what a difference that makes!
Im still struggling with the finer details on a smaller scale figure so I thought maybe a bust would be the best way to go to put ibto practice all these new techniques. Fortunately i came accross sone cheap ones on ebay so i had a go.
its verlindens french legionaire and i think im quite happy with the face and beard.
But would love to have some feedback from you guys, so heres my first attempt..


JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Historicus Forma: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:53 AM UTC
Martin,

The following impresses me:

1. Symmetry of the face highlights and shading

2. Teeth - bold move!

3. The locks of hair from under the hat - look natural

This is what I suggest you re-visit:

1. Increase the shading around the collars, neck, scarf

2. Hair - very difficult to make it look like hair. Even grimy unwashed hair has a certain sheen. Consider mixing a bit of a metallic into the hair color.

2. Deeper undercut between the ascot and the collar

3. Teeth - too white. May be a stereotype but I would yellow/brown then up a bit.

Good start!
Mar-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
Joined: May 04, 2003
KitMaker: 679 posts
Historicus Forma: 92 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply and advice,
I have continued a bit since that last post and worked a little more on the highlights and washed the teeth too. Added a bit more shading and a bit of grey to the beard, hair and eye brows and then moved on to the Kepi and dress.
Heres where Im at so far.. as always comments and help welcomed.

Thanks